SAU Community

Ppg Synchro Gear Set

How exactly do you need to change your style?

well becasue the dog boxes dont have syncrho cones/rings there is nothing to slow down the speed of the gears when you are shifting, so you need a very firm, precise shift action on the up shift and they can be very hard to shift at low rpm, on the down shift revs need to be matched and if you want it to last you really need to be good at double de-clutching on the down shift. on the track though you can up shift by holding your foot flat on the throttle and just punching the clutch in time with shifting up. in this case the faster you shift the better so the gears are still spinning at ~ the same speed. they are not really friendly for street and continuos street use will wear them out fairly quickly. The straight cuts gears that are usualy used in dog boxes have their own problems of which the main one is noise. They sound like a dentist drill on steroids... not nice when you are just cruising to work.

hi guys just thought id add i had a par box in my gtir and it was perfectly fine.

thats first hand information rather than a mate told me par is this and that......

but like someone stated earlier each to their own i guess. :(