SAU Community

Random emissions testing in Australia?

Most of us are runing pods and larger exhausts. While others are running even bigger turbos, larger fuel pumps and different ECU tunning. Even the odd gutted cat (pack the panadol for the headaches), its not worth it.

This can change the emissions from the factory limits which should meet the Australian standards.

Any one been pulled up for an emissions check in Qld?

Anyone else from other states been pulled over by their EPA/police/Department of transport?

Did you pass or fail, did you have to get a retest?

It would be a pain in the arse to have to change all your mods back to standard, espically turbo and ECU mods.

I think it is one of those things that is just around the corner, espically looking at the cahnges to some of the import regulations

Maybe dual fuel mapping is the key ...one for emissions/fuel, one for serious power...

Hmmm. I don't think its much of an issue.. they don't do much in victoria from what i've seen and heard around. It seems like its more of a somebody makes a complaint thing they check it here.

It looks like in NSW and QLD its used largely just an excuse to get some of the high spec ones off the road. Probably the same here but i've never seen them doing spot checks.

If anything, a skyline is going to have much less emissions than older Aussie produced cars as Japan has had pretty strict regs on it for a lot longer than us.

it is an issue Ihave heard of a number of people in vic who ahve been causght and have had to take their mods out to get the car to comply if you have an epa test in victoria nd they see an aftermarket ecu even if the car passes the test the car is failed cause to is not approved. that is why I'm an advocate of the power fc and remapping ecus.

becarful guys when you do your mods this could happen to you

meggala

My last Dyno showed I was way over the limit.

Even though I had a Cat in.

The O2 sensor was stuffed.

So you could always get a report stating this.

Just a thought.

Regulations for cars will get tighter ; the import regulations for better or worse are an example of this…. Owning a ‘legal’ modified car will take some careful planning with mods…. I could not get over the fact an air pod is a defect ….. How many imports do you see with the standard air box.

Queensland still only requires a roadworthy on a transfer of registration. A yearly road worthy will probably be brought in at some stage like NSW & VIC (?)

Mandatory emissions testing could become part of a yearly road worthy. Random emissions testing would be a great way of getting a modified car off the road.

Japan does have high emission standards but Australia may actually focus on different pollutants and different levels. I read about an import company have a lot problems complying some of the RX7 series 6, 7,8 because (I think) in standard form they did not meet Australian standards. (The current emissions testing is also biased towards piston engines)

Meggala

What’s the go with the power FC does it piggy back onto the standard ECU? Or is it a true plug in system…. I have always thought it was a plug in ….

The Power FC would be a great option but wouldn’t it fail, as it is not the standard ECU?

Sorry about the doom and gloom post, I am not that negative really! I just don’t want modified car/performance car owners to stick their heads in the sand and get caught out big time …. Kind of like the new import regs and its attitude to modified cars …..

We need to be on the ball and keep on eye on what our ‘best interests’ are according to the bureaucrats, politicians and the domestic car industry … and like some motorcyclists organise (ie the mandatory headlights on campaign) some action when its needed….

And maybe not pull off the most awesome drift up some crowded café street with a screamer pipe and no Cat …. I know it its tempting !

:burnout: :)

Mandatory emissions testing could become part of a yearly road worthy. Random emissions testing would be a great way of getting a modified car off the road.

Hmmm, they have talked about this for many years. Even Vicroads testing has shown that there is no evidence to suggest unroadworthy cars have any bearing on accidents. It was raised before parliament at one stage. I think it is one thing that will keep coming up. My thoughts are that it will not end up being brought in due the backlash by community groups and people on lower income - the cost of owning an older car will be pushed up by too much. Quite rightly I think so too - as I spent $2000 on my first car and i just could not have afforded to pay more while at uni, etc. The cost of enforcing and regulating this each year would also be quite a cost to the government too.

I'm more a fan of regular license testing to improve road safety but that is a different issue. I know each state is different. VIC requires a RWC to transfer a car, and yet 3rd party is not compulsory - but in SA requires neither. And NSW is different again. There never will be a unified approach to it all as it really is a state based issue.

I think it is only two aftermarket intake modifications allowed in VIC but i could be wrong. So a pod and intercooler pretty much puts you over. Then it comes down to what actually comes out the other end.

PowerFC is a full replacement ECU. Still its a 15 second job to check it assuming they know what to look for...they just have to see the logo on the box for a start. I assume he meant its more capable to tune to balance emissions better with all the aftermarket gear??

Everybody gets screwed over when they decide the road rules... there is very little consultation other than with industry "groups".

They want everybody to drive a Ford, Holden, or Mitsubishi and "standard" cars or "factory engineered" local or locally imported cars. There is a lot of pressure by these companies to encourage government to force people to buy newer cars for obvious reasons.

To me though .. make a decent aussie produced car for a decent price and i will buy it.. but i can't see that happening.

Not everybody wants to spend 30k+ on a new car every 3 years and go through that "cycle".

I agree .... Once we locally start producing/importing decent cars that are realistically priced ... we will buy them .... The new XR6 is probably getting a little closer but even if you had the money to buy one you would void the warranty once you start modifying properly.

Cars in the States and New Zealand even after the exchange rate tend to be cheaper! Imports do have different compliance standards in different countries .

But I hope that wouldn't stop the import car scene all together.

If the Power FC is a straight plug and play system, you could always plug the standard ECU back in and run standard boost if you are due for your emissions test. Don't know how a different turbo or fuel delivery system would affect the ECU…

The important question is down track can Skylines Australia and other related interests groups present a united front with the import/performance industry if more stringent legislation is placed on the modified car scene.

Legislation is there for a reason, I think its great if we can have better performing safe cars which may not only meet the emission standards but exceed them (some of the tuners out there are great but some are pretty average ie max power, crap mid range and fuel consumption and only mapping a couple of points) …

What frustrates me are seemingly pointless rules such as no pods because they may effect the emissions or it is not a standard ECU even though the emissions may past the standards …

• 5 years later...

I got pulled over last night and the guys were too lazy or didnt know how to test me instead they defected me and asked me to complete an IM240 test for emissions.

Not sure if I will pass though, aftermarket FMIC, exhaust and POD?? Apparently its pretty common though particularly in rural areas. I got done in the Hunter Valley.

I got pulled over last night and the guys were too lazy or didnt know how to test me instead they defected me and asked me to complete an IM240 test for emissions.

Not sure if I will pass though, aftermarket FMIC, exhaust and POD?? Apparently its pretty common though particularly in rural areas. I got done in the Hunter Valley.

Its becoming increasingly common in Sydney as well.

Where abouts in the Hunter did u get done? What did u get defected for?

A guy on these forums GLTOY has passed numerous emissions tests on his RB25 >300RWKW with his own tune. I think he even tuned it on E85.Just search in the forced induction thread .