SAU Community

Forged Rb30 Conrods

can i get some input on forged aftermarket conrods? I-beam vs H-beam, has anybody had experiences with EAGLE, ARGO, REV, PAR, CROWER. The application will be for a 900hp rb26/30. Bad and Good experiences (how much power? and to what revs?) will be greatly appreciated :P

Most of the aftermarket rods around will cope with what you want. Argo are a nice rod, a little heavier than others, PAR rods are similar, maybe a little more modern profile. A lot of US Supra guys are running crower rods at over 1000hp. Carrillo are probably the ultimate rod but you will pay for them. I'm fairly sure you can get eagles now for RB30's, I'd have no problem using them either. A lot depends on how much you want to spend, there are other companies that will make them, Pankl make a nice rod but the $ is up there, Pauter make a strange looking + beam rod that many people have used with a lot of success. It all really depends on your budget, the more you spend, the better rod you will get.

can i get some input on forged aftermarket conrods? I-beam vs H-beam, has anybody had experiences with EAGLE, ARGO, REV, PAR, CROWER. The application will be for a 900hp rb26/30. Bad and Good experiences (how much power? and to what revs?) will be greatly appreciated  :)

A little bit to add to;

We have used Carrillo H Beam rods for 950 bhp, with a max of 8,500 rpm. That is using a full billet aluminium block girdle.

Argo make both I Beam and H Beam, we tend to use I Beam as they will tolerate a bit more contact than the H Beam. We are up to 750 bhp and 8,000 rpm with them, not using a block girdle.

We have used Eagle H Beams, mostly in circuit race engines up to 650 bhp. Not had a problem, they service nicely after a full season of racing.

My suggestions, pay the extra and use Carrillos. You will have more than enough other stuff to worry about, so crossing off the rods is a good start.

:) cheers :(

What greg said is on the money whats your budget than we can recommend something for you based on that. A 900hp engine is expensive, I see to many people these days thinking a 700hp engine is the same as a 900-1000 hp engine. Dont just consider the engine parts when building a car like this think down the line like gearbox, driveshafts, diffs the list goes on. Also an engine like that will need a lot of maitnance, ie. pulling it down every few thousand kays and checking bearing and components!!!

I personally dont go much on Carillos and alot of people might shoot me down but here is why. Carillo hasnt changed its design in 20 years, this says to me that they arent doing any continued R and D this is a worry cause no matter how good you make something you can always refine it, people say they got it right the first time well I am not convinced. Secondly I am not questioning their strength or quality of finish or materials they are high quality but their strength comes through the fact the are a very chunky rod and heavier than all others I have had. A six inch Carillo weighs from memory around 710grams, a standard rb30 rod which is basically the same thing is around 630...this is standard. I feel Carillos are great for strength no doubt about their durability but its due to more metal as well, whereas some of the other manufacturers are trying to go lighter through design and developement and keep the same strength as say a carillo. Company's like Pankl and crower impress me as they are constantly testing their stuff to meet higher and higher standards, and their rods look amazing, but you pay for it also!!!!

interesting read fellas!

im looking into this at the moment as well

So would someone be able to give a top 5 or so and include a "ball park price range" for them if they know?? would be interesting to see

ohh yeah i dont mean top 5 in price necessarily

:)

I used Pauter rods in my engine and are holding 610rwhp without a drama i was told rated at 250hp a rod. They are quite light and have a weird design (+ beam ) thats seems to work well. Brian Pauter (shop owner) told me they make rb30 rods to order. WWW.PAUTER.COM

post-3878-1131545372.jpg

Edited by R32-GTS

TOP 5 OFF THE SHELF:

PAUTER $around 2k landed

CARILLO $2500+

ARGO $1900

REV $1500

EAGLE $1300

All the rods in this list are good rods that would suite almost any engine combination and be strong enough for anything up to 800hp, also that list is in no particular order and I havent included rods like Crower, oliver and Pankl for example as they arent ready made you have to get them custom made.

TOP 5 (If moneys no object, all custom made)

1) Crower Titanium $5000+

2) Arrow Engineering Titanium $5000+

3) Pauter Titanium $7000+

4) BME Aluminium ( moneys no object you can replace them every 1000ks) $3000+

5) Cunningham Aluminiums $3000+

Edited by Fitzpatrick Speed Works