SAU Community

Terror Threat In Brisbane

chaos

did any1 ever think that the state government may have done this to test there emergency proceedures that have been put in place and how efficient they are. bcoz obviously if they told the public they were going to stop public transport to test, they would have had negative feedback from the public obviously. just bcoz of what my mum told me they used to do to them when she worked at a major hospital in sydney. they used to call a bomb threat and see how quickly staff and security would react then call it off after so long.

What really pissed me off with the trains tonight is the fact that when I was at roma st station. They ran a express cleveland train and not a all stops one. Then within 10-15mins after that, atleast 5 or 6 ipswitch trains came through. not 1 beenleigh, cleveland or goldcoast train came through.

QR has 4 or 5 hr's to prepair a new train timetable but didnt. this was very poorly organised. I was even standing next to a platform person with a CB and the guy who does the public announcements radiod to the guy on the platform askin what train just pulled up.

i would have to say QR systems really do suck and is very poorly organised.

Even if it was a hoax, I think it was a good training session for the emergency services to see what they'd do in an emergency. I'm glad to know that the premier and police commissioner OVER reacted and that if it was a real bomb, hundreds of deaths would have been averted by their actions.

In saying that, I still think the people who did the hoax should be sent to jail.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,17264257-1248,00.html

Bomb hoax accused in court

November 16, 2005

Covered up ... the accused is driven into the Brisbane City Watchhouse / Marc Robertson A 46-year-old truck driver has appeared in a Brisbane court charged over a bomb hoax that brought the city's transport system to a standstill.

Rodney Bruce Watson, from Munruben south-west of Brisbane, did not enter a plea today to four charges in the Brisbane Magistrates Court relating to hoax calls from four telephone boxes.

Buses and trains were brought to a halt at midday on Monday and then between 4.45pm and 5.15pm (AEST), causing peak hour chaos for thousands of commuters.

Senior Sergeant Mark Gorton told the court that Mr Watson's fingerprints were found on three of four phone boxes allegedly used to make hoax calls.

The court was told Mr Watson, whose 46th birthday was on Monday, was arrested in Brisbane late last night. If convicted, he could face up to 10 years' jail.

Magistrate Brian Hine adjourned Mr Watson's bail application until next Monday pending a psychiatric examination.

Mr Watson was remanded in custody to face the same court next Monday.