SAU Community

Pod Filter Vs Stock Airbox

L 33

I have always had an Apexi pod, but got sick of the sound, not to mention the legal side of it [2 intake mods]. So i swaped over to the stock airbox with a K and N filter.

Since then it fells slower then before, what are other peoples thoughts on this?

I had an HKS pod in my skyline and removed it when I got defected and noticed no difference whatsoever. I didn't even have an aftermarket panel filter. Of course there is the possibility that I did lose power but it must've have been so minimal.

So i'll be sticking with the airbox in the future, for daily driving I can't tell the difference and its alot cheaper too when the cops pop ur bonnet

i remember reading a comparison test on the filters (apexi, blitz, HKS and K&N)

and all gained around 14 BHP so difference isnt that much i know apexi was best for both filtration and power gain (best BY FAR for filtration, and 14BHP gain)

K&N was second best for filtration and was good power gain at 13.8 BHP

and actually HKS was worst by far filtration was SHOCKING and power gain was 13.6 BHP

so as for power gain you shouldnt notice that much of a difference

RellikZephyr

Yeah, but a pod, if its sucking hot underbonnet air, is going to reduce performance. Air box will win everytime, with the snorkel drawing cool air from outside the bonnet.

Dyno will not tell shit, of what happens in the real world.

If you want a pod, put it in a box, or setup a heatshield, and have the best of both worlds.

Well even if you can't notice it seat of your pant style,

You would get better performance and fuel consumption if the motor was breathing in ambient outside air, maybe up to 30degC, instead of hot radiated air from the motor under the hood that is 50+degC.

Not to mention it will help avoid detonation as well.

I would assume it depends on power being made.

My RB20DET 3years ago was making 164rwkw on 1bar, with the stock air box and stock filter and stock small cai snorkle.

The tuner grabbed his Apexi pod from his R33 and bolted it on to mine, ZERO power increase. Obviously done on a dyno back to back.

I have since placed a 100mm dia cai in to my inner bumper and chopped out the bottom of the airbox + some fibreglass for a nice smooth stock black finish. :O

Unfortunately you R33 ppls are unable to do this as your airbox is UPSIDE DOWN! :D

Edited by Cubes

How do Pipercross panel filters compare to say K&N / Apexi panel filters?

Thinking of ditching the K&N pod filter and reinstalling the R33 std airbox I picked up, but need a good filter for it.

Hate the sound the pod makes (too noisy) and it sucks hot air even with a custom enclosure (enclosure is always very hot after a drive).

Probally just because the noise has gone.

If V8's lost their noise, the owners would realise how slow they are too.

ROFL :lol:

agreed. I was gonna post same same, but i was beaten... again! :D

How do Pipercross panel filters compare to say K&N / Apexi panel filters?

search button :(

SK done it all before on his finding

Cheers, I have done a search but I'll re-search then.....

I know SK rates them highly, just after other opinions (if any)

Pipercross cost around $59 + delivery whilst Apexi panel filters cost around $100 delivered.

Brendan

i changed my box without a snorkel(fmic blocking) to a pod with heat shielding, made no difference apart from the VERY ANNOYING NOISE!

so anyway since it has been sucking cold air the only positive thing i have noticed is that my idle used to sometimes go crazy and it barely ever does anymore so i think the AFM was being affected by hot air.

Where abouts can I order a Pipercross filter from? Preferably online :P

I think I just have the stock filter. The air filter is PINK, is that the standard one on a R33? :D

cheers,

Tommo.

do you guys know, that autospeed done a test of pressure drops on a vl turbo intake system some time ago. (can get the url if you want)

they found a standard paper element filter to have almost 0 pressure drop (well not 0 but bugger all compared to the other restrictions in the intake system) the biggest restriction was the afm mesh, this was a huge restriction, compared to anything else.

the reason this is of interest is because im sure the r33 and r33 run the same air filter?

so expensive k&n may be ok, because you can wash them and re-use, but if you think the performance will be better, you are mistaken once again.

i always used genuine Nissan paper element filters, change every service and have no dramas. for me to buy a k&n, i would need a gun to my head.

if you are serious about removing restrictions, flick the mesh. do it to all my hotwire meters, never had any decline in idle quality, or smoothness. if anything i notice improvement in response and fuel economy. (some of you are parro about the mesh i know, but anyway, if you think the filter will have any performance gain, your joking)