SAU Community

Howto: Water Spray For Aftermarket Intercooler

paulr33

not to bring a thread back from the dead or anything, but i just used my rear window washer. Dont need to install anything but extra lines to the front and a nozzle. total it cost me about $6 and it's push button from the dash cluster.

who uses the rear window washer anyways? mine always hit the boot lid :)

thats actually a really good idea. thanks for the feedback. where is the rear water bottle, or does it just feed from the front one ?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thats actually a really good idea. thanks for the feedback. where is the rear water bottle, or does it just feed from the front one ?

feeds from the same bottle as the front

also in regards to these mist kits i don't think theres a need

the mist probably won't cover a significant area of the intercooler, i think coverage is more important than the particle size and from what a gather at high speeds the mist nozzles probably don't even work

Edited by nF

the mist probably won't cover a significant area of the intercooler, i think coverage is more important than the particle size and from what a gather at high speeds the mist nozzles probably don't even work

If you mount the spray nozzles on the sides shooting across the cooler rather than straight down like most people tend do think is best, you get a pretty impressive coverage (this takes some time to aim properly so the water "skips" across the length of the core).

The idea behind the mist nozzles is not to be used at high speed anyways, that's when the fins are already as cold as they will get (for the most part). If you shoot the cooler with a little bit of water before you want to take off though, it helps to cool the relatively hot metal down a bit and will do even more than just having dry metal from the launch. quite useful when the lineup for the track forces you to sit at idle in the sun for extended periods.

• 1 month later...

yeah I just bought some el cheapo replacement windsreen nozzles (with leds in them ,no less) and connected them to me window washer tank. Works a charm. Haven't got any hard data though - but on a hot day it would have to help!

• 2 weeks later...

I saw some people were setting up an automatic water spray system with the RSM for eg 5000rpm. If you were still running the standard computer and have an aftermarket boost controller then you could set one of these up quite cheaply. You could use the earth wire for the standard boost control solenoid as it closes a circuit at 4500rpm.

• 2 weeks later...

Have you seen the Autospeed version which doesn't use a single sensor to turn on and off, but used the injector output (as the money injector, the more power and heat) and uses a points based system where it turns on after a certain amount of time with injector duty high, and turns off a certain amount of time after it turns off.

So not just on at 4500 and off at 4499rpm.

Check it out, it's called "Intelligent Water Spray"

Seems to be a very good little unit.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok for all you cheapies who dont want to spend over $20 i got one for you... More suited to stock coolers as when the fmic gets put on ill get an actual kit running pressure pumps etc for it!

I went to bunnings and bought some cable along with a water mister. Simply undo the water line that runs to the rear window (also undo power supply to rear window wiper so it doesnt come on everytime you go to spray your cooler) on the washer bottle in the engine bay and hook the new cabling onto that. Then run the cabling down to the intercooler (next to cooler piping). Tie it up with cables ties/tape blah blah to hold it in place and then when ever you push the lever for the rear window washer it will spray water onto your stock cooler :( I noticed little power difference but went for a bit of a run without it and felt the cooler, it was quiet warm on a cold night, then went for another run using the water spray and felt the cooler which was nice and cold!

As i said the idea is cheap and more suited to a stock intercooler but never the less its not a bad way to spend an hour or so to lower intake temps and keep your intercooler cool :(

• 1 month later...

Pump is the small device that sits under the water bottle near the exit of the bottle. Power for rear wiper is located in the top of ur boot, simply pull out the plug under the covered area! I found you need a good jet to spray the mist of it will drip leak unfortauntaly.. i have since taken it off and put a fmic on but i thought it was good for keepin the stocko cooler!

• 4 weeks later...
Pump is the small device that sits under the water bottle near the exit of the bottle. Power for rear wiper is located in the top of ur boot, simply pull out the plug under the covered area! I found you need a good jet to spray the mist of it will drip leak unfortauntaly.. i have since taken it off and put a fmic on but i thought it was good for keepin the stocko cooler!

there is a benefit of usin a spray on a FMIC 2.. the lower the intake temp the better

Yes of course drag cars even use dry ice to help the coolers sometimes! Pivot etc sell water spray kits, but what i made up would be no good for a FMIC as the size of it needs better pumps and somethin proper set up for it...

Yes of course drag cars even use dry ice to help the coolers sometimes! Pivot etc sell water spray kits, but what i made up would be no good for a FMIC as the size of it needs better pumps and somethin proper set up for it...

Not sure what size/style water jets u were using but just this arvo i hooked up 2 sprays on my FMIC and the stocko pump seems fine pressure wise.. water leaking slightly from jets tho so i have aquire a pressure valve from somewhere...

Ye i noticed it leaked, and after alil while you have no more water in the bottle lol

Personally for what its worth I will go and get a pivot set up when i get around to it, they are designed properly and much more efficent im sure :dry:

Ye i noticed it leaked, and after alil while you have no more water in the bottle lol

Personally for what its worth I will go and get a pivot set up when i get around to it, they are designed properly and much more efficent im sure :)

Got it wrkn great now and NO LEAKS! went 2 wreckers and got an inline pressure valve from the windscreen wiper setup off a VT-VX commodore. easy as. just installed valve just b4 T piece that goes to sprays.

wasn't happy with mist type jets so i'm using 2 half fan sprays now and i recon around 90% coverage so i'm happy with the results :P

Thats awsome man! Personally I was too lazy to go and do what you've done lol!

We need to find a way to measure the throttle body's intake temps when using the water spray after boosting the car and when not using the water spray after boosting to see the differences now... any ideas? hahaha

Thats awsome man! Personally I was too lazy to go and do what you've done lol!

We need to find a way to measure the throttle body's intake temps when using the water spray after boosting the car and when not using the water spray after boosting to see the differences now... any ideas? hahaha

Lol i'm 2 lazy to think about how to do that mate! i'll just tell myself it wrks haha 4 like around $6 it wouldn't worry me if it did shit all.. if u find a way tho u could let me know :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

hi guys

would removing the power plug to the rear wiper, disable the entire rear wiper or only when u use the spray? because funy enough i do use my rear wiper on winter nights reversing.

thanks heaps

Phuong

Edited by philta

• 9 months later...
I saw some people were setting up an automatic water spray system with the RSM for eg 5000rpm. If you were still running the standard computer and have an aftermarket boost controller then you could set one of these up quite cheaply. You could use the earth wire for the standard boost control solenoid as it closes a circuit at 4500rpm.

I am about to make a sprayer setup, and was considering the above idea today whilst I was getting all the parts together. Not being an electronics expert, I was concerned that the pumps may draw too much current from the ground in the computer.

Does a relay need to be used? (if so, anyone care to explain how to make the relay? :whistling: ) or can I just use that computer controlled ground as the ground for the pump?

Everyone's talking about setting up the water spray to activate at a certain RPM....Why? By the time the water has any affect on the intercooler temp you've already gave your car a smash and are back to average sort of revs.

The only place the rev based activation would be of any benefit would be on the track when the motor is consistently hitting high revs. An intecooler is just a heat sink, so it makes more sense to spray the intercooler before and during times of high reving, this way the intercooler is already cool and maintains similar temps.

The setup I am currently installing is an el-cheapo spray that I think will match the performance of the retail kits available (without the big cost). It will be activated by a switch when you need it ie. hot days and high revs etc.

The kit comprises of:

1 x Windscreen washer kit (Part No: W501)

1 x Rocker Switch (Part No: 62055BL)

Both of these items are available from repco for fairly cheap. Other hardware you may need includes a couple meters of wire, various connectors, electrical tape, solder and soldering iron.

To fit the kit:

1. Find a suitable place to fit the switch, I have mounted the switch on the random little plastic square on dash near the dimmer switch.

2. Once mounted splice one wire from the switch to constant source of power. I used the digital clock it has four wires on the connector, the red wire closest to steering wheel is wire you want to use.

3. Connect a long a stretch of wire onto the other tab on the switch. Run this wire through the firewall and connect it to the positive side on the washer pump.

4. Set the washer tank up where you want it, I put it just below the original washer tank (You will not be able to put it here if you have hybrid style piping for you intercooler). And then run the negative terminal to factory earth for the original windscreen washer.

5. Next find a suitable place to fit the spray nozzle. Mount the nozzle in direction and place that is most likely to cover the largest area without sticking out too much and being ugly. The finer the mist, the larger the surface area covered by the mist, which equals lower temps.

I’ve decided to do something different to the nozzle method. I have chosen to use pin to punch small holes in the clear hose, this allows for a number of spraying points and perfect fine mist and yes you will have to close off the end off the hose.

6. Test it out. Yay.

Note on installation: You will either have to purchase an anti-drain back valve or run any section of the clear hose higher than the washer bottle to prevent gravity draining.