SAU Community

Howto: Water Spray For Aftermarket Intercooler

paulr33

Note on installation: You will either have to purchase an anti-drain back valve or run any section of the clear hose higher than the washer bottle to prevent gravity draining.

Actually, you want a bit of hose lower than the washer nozzles/sprayers, that will stop it gravity draining.

Or alternatively, you can just take the stock check valve for the rear washer. On R32s it's just under the parcel shelf "flap". Take the rear seat out and you'll see what I mean. Valve has an arrow on it, make sure you have the arrow pointing in the direction of the water flow.

If you just follow the stock hose for the rear washer, I'm sure you'll find it.

Edited by salad

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually missed a bit of detail in that note the hose needs to be in a loop to prevent gravity draining. I didn't see any point pulling out the rear check valve because I wanted to keep the functionality of the rear spray nozzle and taking the rear seat out is a pain in the ass.

I read this in another thread and thought it was a good idea...

wha u can do if the hose from ur washer pump run it higher than the pump outlet before routing it to the sprayers, i hooke mine around the radiator over flow line to keep it high. Now after i connected it all i got a stanly knife with a pointy end and put a reall small cut/pinhole in the pipe at its high point. When u spray u loos a tiny bit of water out the first top hole, u still get great presure to ur nozzles and the best thig is that now u water wont all empty away!. play with the hole size till u get it right, dont go to big too soon cause obviously u loos water there.

It worked, the water leakage stopped, but the extra hole wasting water was annoying me, so I used the same concept, but instead of having a little hole, I put in a T piece in with a piece tube running to a hole in the top of the water bottle.

This meant that air was still able to be introduced into the line to prevent siphoning, but water wasn't sprayed in a useless spot.

The problem with this was that the tube running back to the water bottle was flowing too much water and significantly decreasing the flow.

To fix this I put a screw into the end of the tube poking into the water bottle. I screwed it in about 85%-90% of the way so that it didn't make the tube airtight.

Pressure increased considerably to a suitable level. No extra useless spray. No wasted water.

Another thing I found handy for installation on a SMIC (probably could be adapted to FMIC too), was too use these rigid pipes that you can buy in the gardening section of bunnings. They are supposed to be for standing up out of the ground for those little irrigation systems. They are the same size as the windscreen washer hose and have an adapter on one end to go into the hose. The other end is the right size for one of the little mist sprayer things to screw in. They only cost 50cents.

I mounted these through little eylet screws I put in the vent on the front bar, facing in towards the intercooler. You can adjust the height that they spray by screwing the eyelet up or down. I get very good coverage like this.

• 3 years later...

sorry to bring this thread up

just wondering if there are any recent diy kits with a list of parts used

the cheapest kit i found on the net is ebay and is around $65 delivered

but im a tight ass and also the kits are an unknown as to whether it has a good enough spray or not

so i rather build my own

pumps i will use is ones from an evo spray tank

any pointers would be much appreciated

cheers

• 1 year later...

wow can't believe how pricey this is ,

i made a switch operated sprayer for free/ 20 bux

denso washer bottle pump off a el ford at the wreckers , spray nozzle(s) off various bonnets at the wrecker , 1L spring water bottle with the top drilled to suit

and done :P

couldn't see any difference of intake temps at cruising speeds it should help after a long thrash or on a hot day

didnt even bother reading 3 pages, no pics for installation?

all i saw was $200+ price tag

i made a kit, my car is always clean, never use the rear wiscreen wiper, disconnected the hose and used the motor to run a 6 jet mist system around the cooler,as gravity will drain all the water all you need is a t-peice and a return pipe to the top of your wiper bottle.

cost me 6 bux from bunnings, all that rev/temp garbage is a waste of money and the kit doesnt work anyway, these mist systems dont work on front mount coolers, they came factory with the 02-08 WRX STI as the coolers were top mount

all it did was make a mess all over my front bar.

fail mod!

Edited by w34ponGT