SAU Community

What Ecu For This Gtr

druzilla32

Hey guys,

Just tossing up between 2 ECU's

the Haltec and the D-Jetro Power FC.

I really want to rid myself from the AFM's as mine seem to always be playing up.

R32 GTR.

Full rebuild

eventually will be single turbo

eventually will have 500-600HP

Im not overly concerned with cold starts.

Haltec = $2350

D-Jetro = ~$1200 + map sensor ($350) + harness and nipples (~$200)

i will also need to buy the boost controll kit eventually for the pfc ($350)

I am leaning towards the Haltec.

Or, 3rd option... you could get a normal PFC under $1100

Get two new Nismo AFM's and it'll cost you the same :O

You wont have any problems of extra tuning the haltech will require plus the total re-wiring thats required

AFM's generally play up once they get old, as yours would be.

You'll thank yourself for keeping the AFM IMO. (before ya ask why, searchie button hehehe)

oh yeah, the install and tune for Haltec will be ~$600

i will keep that in mind R31Nismoid.

the AFM's i have got now i bought from someone here.... apparently they were from a 33GTR with 40,000kms.

one AFM is reading 1.5 volts the other is .4 volts...

does this mean one is on its way out? is that normal? the reading was done by a Heltec distributer so they may have just wanted to sell me a new ECU :O

Clean the AFM's and then check the voltage, I use spray on brake cleaner, no residue. There is simply no better way of measuring the airflow into an engine than an AFM. Using a MAP sensor driven ECU means it is guessing the airflow. Do a search if you want more info, this is an often discussed subject.

:O cheers :D

agreed, search button as to the benefits of an AFM are well covered.

Dru - thats why i always get new parts. Might cost a tad more at times (like $100/$150 difference for AFM) but in terms of the hassle and time saved, its well worth it.

Give em a clean as above, and see what comes of it. Also check inside the connectors etc to make sure of good contact

hey,

i cleaned the AFM and connections with electrical contact cleaner... but the car still ran like a dog with 1 leg.. very bad under load, cant go up hills etc.

where could i get the Nismo AFMs from?

also how do they compare to Z32? (i think the answer to that will be "search" :O )

does the Power FC lack any options that the Haltec can offer? and vise versa

the car will also be a daily driver

mate I know this isn't what most think but the Haltech is twice the computer, multiple maps, datalogging and the new lambda makes for a unbeatable combination for $$

I use the E11V2 and am nothing but happy with all the results from it

Apexi for me

D-Jetro has become popular in Wa but it still a big fan of the pfc and i wouldn't go the nismo afms because i believe there the same std size Yes?(62mm) the rb20/25 or z32 are 80mm and give much less restriction to air flow than the std size afm (and personaly i descreen mine) everyone loves putting large exhaust system on to get rid of the gas but what goes out must first get in and in only under a vacuvm(inlet of the turbo).Twin 3" dumps are common so i also run twin 3" intake piping from the 80mm afms, which lets the turbos breath easily.

pete

ps APEXI pfc best plug and play on the market

while the haltec may offer some more features

it doesnt make up for the extra cost of purchase , cost and incovenience of non plug and play and the inability to match the power fc's superior idle/aircond/cold start and wider range of tuners familiar with the product

you have answered your own question. if it's a daily driver then i think it would be a mistake not to go afms and PFC. nismo afms are basically the electronics of a Z32 maf in the body of a RB26 maf. you get the advantage being able to measure more airflow whislt being able to keep your current intake set-up and standard appearance.

where could i get the Nismo AFMs from?

also how do they compare to Z32? (i think the answer to that will be "search" tongue.gif )

I got mine from prefect run, but greenline have them too. As others have said they are pretty simalar resolution to the Z32. I got the nismo over the Z32 cause i wanted to keep the stockers airbox. If you have pod's you might aswell go Z32 as there the same price for new ones.

nismo_afm.jpg

Edited by sav man

If you really do want to ditch the AFM's, look into Autronic. They are an awesome computer and one of the best you can buy (reasonable price too)

I came across this ecu in the "top 5 gtr ECU's" thread..

i have been searching there site >> http://www.autronic.com/index.html

but cant seem to find a price list? for the SM4

yes i would prefer to ditch the AMS's.. the only daily driving i do would be cruising and the occasional trip to the shops... apart from that it would just be on the track. (i dont need a car during the week)

sav man: i would go the Z32 AFM's then as i have air pods.

IMACUL8: i wish

Edited by druzilla32

Problem with ditching the AFM's on a car with mutilple throttle bodies is the poor vacumm quality with low throttle transitions usually between 0-5% TPS. This is why I would use an Autronic as you can tune TPS based to a certain point and thn tune speed density afterwards.