SAU Community

Neo Rb25det Questions

DRFT 14

Hey there guys, ive just bought a NEO RB25DET motor out of a 1999 GT-T and an R33 25t gearbox to fit into my S14 (previously fitted with an RB20).

The motor is missing the ECU, alternator, wiring harness has been cut etc. Ive got a few questions regarding r33-r34 part interchange-ability. Will other RB alternators fit the NEO RB25? What about the wiring harness? And im guessing the ecu will have to be a NEO ecu, and an R33 ecu wont work? Will a DE wiring loom be fine on the DET, or do I need to hunt down a turbo loom?

Any help will be appreciated, as im not very familiar with the NEO motors. Thanx guys

You will need the 34 DET Neo wiring loom, and ECU.

The electronic side of the R34 motor seems to be fairly different from an R33, so no you can't use the R33 gear.

I'm not sure on the alternators, though I'd imagine that you'd be able to use one from an RB20/25/26/30 without much trouble, I'm not 100% though.

Thanks alot guys, I can always depend on getting quick useful replies in these forums :blink:. So, the verdict is that a neo computer and wiring loom is needed and other RB alternators *should* fit.

Another question, I have an Exedy 5 puk heavy duty clutch that i kept from my rb20det. Mint condition, was only in there for 1 month. Will an RB20 designed clutch bolt on to the RB25 gearbox? I really hope so! Also, will an R33 AFM work with a NEO computer?

Edited by DRFT 14

Another question, I have an Exedy 5 puk heavy duty clutch that i kept from my rb20det. Mint condition, was only in there for 1 month. Will an RB20 designed clutch bolt on to the RB25 gearbox? I really hope so! Also, will an R33 AFM work with a NEO computer?

there are 2 different gearboxes from the RB25 .. push and pull types..

so you will have to work out what type your clutch is, then what type your g/b is!

the R34s use the opposite to R33s in the clutch department so you may need to do some mods to make it fit.

ie if the R33 is push type the R34 is pull type....

Its been awhile since I changed clutch but I THINK its pull type for the R34....

You will need the 34 DET Neo wiring loom, and ECU.

The electronic side of the R34 motor seems to be fairly different from an R33, so no you can't use the R33 gear.

I'm not sure on the alternators, though I'd imagine that you'd be able to use one from an RB20/25/26/30 without much trouble, I'm not 100% though.

What will plug in direct from R33DET gear:

CAS - but you will need to re-wire the plug by reversing the wiring

Injectors - plug straight in

Coilpacks - if you have a series 1.5 then it'll plug right in

Detonation sensors - plug straight in

Coolant temp sensor - plug straight in

Oil temp sensor - plug straight in

Stuff that will work from R33DET:

Throttle body

AFM

ECU

The R33 alternator will fit. The R33 air con and power steering units will not fit with the R34 harmonic balancer. Change it to the R33DET item and they will.

There's probably a few things I've forgotten - but it will work.

Edited by caminperth

the R34s use the opposite to R33s in the clutch department so you may need to do some mods to make it fit.

ie if the R33 is push type the R34 is pull type....

Its been awhile since I changed clutch but I THINK its pull type for the R34....

i also beleive that the S1 and S2 use 2 different types of G/Box as well..

so the S2 might be the same as the R34.

Nope - I'm saying a R33 RB25DET harness will plug into the NEO injector loom. Definitely right cause I'm driving around on it.. :)

Hmm, im kind of getting confused here guys. So the R33 loom fits a NEO motor? And caminperth, you also said a the R33 25t AFM and ECU both fit ? Others have said it doesnt, has anyone tried this themselves and can confirm for sure? If caminperth is right then my life will be much easier, NEO stuff is very rare compared to R33 25t parts (and much more expensive!).

What will plug in direct from R33DET gear:

Injectors - plug straight in

Are you sure?

While I've never played with the injectors on my car I've heard from just about everywhere that R33 injectors are side feed whereas R34 injectors are top feed.

R34 injectors are top feed? Interesting. Anyone know what they flow? Same as 33? In that case it looks like i can go with the cheaper option and get GTR injectors rather than an expensive aftermarket brand.

Can anyone confirm on this too?

ive heard of guys adapting the neo loom to run a r33 ecu

as i was saying i have a neo compouta and i also have a neo in my 32 pm me to have a chat about my conversion if u want and ill send u my number

R34 injectors are top feed? Interesting. Anyone know what they flow?

I think they flow something likw 320 or 340cc

I'm quite sure the 33 injectors flow more however, something like 370cc (shoot me down if I'm wrong)

but yeh, they are different

And likewise I have a Neo in my 31, PM me if you want to know anything