SAU Community

Gtr Plenum Removal

jlnewton

I have an air leak at the rear of the plenum. Hard to say at this stage where exactly it is but it is definately audible using a little piece of tube shoved down there. At this stage I am thinking one of the gaskets on the rear throttle body or intake manifold has blown out. Anyway seeing as I have some time off over Xmas I was going to tackle this problem myself, I have the trusty R32 GTR workshop manual here and although on paper it doesn't look that difficult upon serious inspection I am a bit bothered by the lack of access to some of the bolts. Might just bite the bullet and pay someone to do it, I just got scared off by the "allow at least 10-12hrs labour" quote.

Has any one here performed this task? If so is there anything I should look out for, any problems you encountered?

Thanks in advance

Jason

bolts on bottom of plenum are a absolute bitch to get to

but 10-12 hrs DAMN i think that guy just wants some money out of you

my mechanic with the help of the manual had it off in under 3 hrs

but he was swearing and cursing about the lack of access

if you got the tools and patience and a spare weekend i dont see why you couldnt do it yourself

only reason i got my mechanic to do it is i knew it would be a headache and i didnt want a headache

as for problems didnt run into any other than u need a trained monkey to climb in engine bay for you

Good Luck

RellikZephyr

Sounds like I am in for some "fun" then. . . . . I am tempted just to get the mechanic to do it to save the headache too, but it would probably be more rewarding if I did it myself, and I would much prefer to spend those dollars on a pfc.

Its the bolts under the plenum which are really bothering me. I figure if they are hard to take off they will be even harder to put back on. The oil filter relocation kit isn't helping either. . . . .

I have an air leak at the rear of the plenum.  Hard to say at this stage where exactly it is but it is definately audible using a little piece of tube shoved down there.  At this stage I am thinking one of the gaskets on the rear throttle body or intake manifold has blown out.  Anyway seeing as I have some time off over Xmas I was going to tackle this problem myself, I have the trusty R32 GTR workshop manual here and although on paper it doesn't look that difficult upon serious inspection I am a bit bothered by the lack of access to some of the bolts.  Might just bite the bullet and pay someone to do it, I just got scared off by the "allow at least 10-12hrs labour" quote.

Has any one here performed this task?  If so is there anything I should look out for, any problems you encountered?

Thanks in advance

Jason

I would be tempted to lift the engine to do it.

nah its a ball ache alright ....but i wouldnt knock back the job of doing it myself......just make sure you got 1/4 drive flexible sockets....not a uni joint but the flex head sockets themselves.......and take your oil filter off first otherwise the bolt that holds on the vacumm chamber thingy underneath fall down and bang on the oil fiter

• 2 weeks later...
I have an air leak at the rear of the plenum.  Hard to say at this stage where exactly it is but it is definately audible using a little piece of tube shoved down there.  At this stage I am thinking one of the gaskets on the rear throttle body or intake manifold has blown out.  Anyway seeing as I have some time off over Xmas I was going to tackle this problem myself, I have the trusty R32 GTR workshop manual here and although on paper it doesn't look that difficult upon serious inspection I am a bit bothered by the lack of access to some of the bolts.  Might just bite the bullet and pay someone to do it, I just got scared off by the "allow at least 10-12hrs labour" quote.

Has any one here performed this task?  If so is there anything I should look out for, any problems you encountered?

Thanks in advance

Jason

mine has the same problem no4 cylinder droped out let me no if u found any probs