SAU Community

Fs: '92 Liberty Rs Turbo

THIS CAR IS NOW SOLD!

This is a real sleeper. It’s a good starting point for someone wanting a cheap yet competitive car to get into club/state level motorsport either as a street/competition compromise or as a base for a purpose-built supersprint, rally, hillclimb or whatever car. It has been modified purely for performance and not for show. It has not been modified for a peak kilowatt rating but for a meaty useable torque curve. Attention has been given to responsiveness, handling and braking for a complete package. Good for consistent 1.10's at Wakefield.

This car has been well maintained by NRG and by MRT. Bushes, bearings, CVs, air flow meter, O2 sensor, accelerator cable, driver's seat sliders, and all the other items that become consumables over the lifetime of a car, have been replaced as soon as a problem has been noticed or as preventative maintenance.

Details:

* '92 RS Liberty sedan - charcoal grey

* $12,000

Under the bonnet:

* Liberty closed-deck block (NRG built)

* Factory-supplied upgraded heads (no lifter noise) and WRX pistons

* VF23 ball-bearing turbo

* Injector refurb

* Multi-point earthing

* 4 Bosch coils plus spark plug leads (standard coil-on-plug design suffers from heat-induced breakdown)

* 400 hp Walbro in-tank fuel pump

* Unifilter Ram Pod air filter with custom made heat shield air box

* Ducted cold air to filter box

* Hi-tech exhaust with Michael South Racing splitter to speed spool-up and improve throttle response

* RA extractors, match ported

* MRT air intake pipe

* Silicon turbo to I/C pipe

* New accelerator cable

* New timing belt and tensioner

* New oil pump seal

Engine management:

* Standard Liberty chip with an Adrian Vos piggy-back - retains all standard features and is switchable between original chip and "hi-performance"

* Close to a mid-90's Group-N map

* ECU re-set switch

* 17 psi boost limit (excellent compromise between power and engine life)

* Dyno (C&V) 158 kW at the wheels (printout available)

Drive train:

* Lightened flywheel

* Heavy duty clutch - not button - easy to use and can handle the power without putting undue stress on the gearbox

* RA-spec gearbox ratios (tight and even) with 4:11 rear diff - makes it feel/drive like a version 6 STi (recent NRG gearbox rebuild)

* Short shift gear-stick kit

Suspension:

* KYB adjustable dampers (front: 4-way adjustment, rear: 8-way)

* King springs - almost new

* Cusco front strut brace

* Camber pins and modified bottom strut holes for more camber adjustment than you'll ever need

* Adjustable strut tops (great castor!)

* Whiteline front sway bar – 22mm

* Whiteline rear sway - 22 mm adjustable

* Whiteline heavy duty rear links

* Whiteline anti-lift kit

Rolling gear:

* 17”x8" after-market wheels

* 16”x7” WRX wheels

* Falken Azenis Silent Sports ST115 (215/40/R17) 20% remaining

* Kumho Ecsta V700 (225/45/17) 60% remaining

* GT Radial Champiro (205/55/16) 90% remaining

Brakes:

* STi 4-spot callipers on front, standard Liberty callipers on rear

* DBA slotted rotors - front and rear

* RB74 front pads

* Race Brakes "sport" pads in rear

* Braided brake hose lines

* Master cylinder brake support bracket

Interior:

* RA-spec front seats – from a STi

* New MOMO steering wheel on original boss

* Aftermarket sport pedals

* Re-skinned dash - recent

* In-dash boost gauge

* Bicycle-style trip computer

* Sony 6 speaker CD system with graphic equaliser (after-market)

* Tinted windows

Electrics:

* Cruise control, A/C, power mirrors, ABS, etc.

* No ignition switch - smashed out by a thief who couldn't beat the other security devices

* CAMS-approved battery isolator switch

* Push-button starter

* New heavy duty battery

* Additional security bits - but I'll only tell the new owner

Further information/history:

An Australian delivered RS from new. Original manual and service history available. I bought this car originally in 1994 as the second owner with the new car warranty still remaining. During this time I made some minor modifications that included exhaust, air intake, suspension, and stereo. After a few years ownership I sold it to John D who performed the vast majority of the modifications listed above during his ownership. Both John and I belonged to the same car club so the development of the car was well known. Earlier this year John offered it for sale and I snapped it up because I knew how well both John and the previous owner had looked after it. The car has never been resprayed or had any accident repair whatsoever, therefore it has the original paintwork from the factory. This includes some minor bumps and bruises that a car may typically experience over time. However, the car is straight and extremely clean.

Reason for sale:

With a new employment position I have an opportunity to upgrade to a car that I've wanted since I originally bought the Liberty. A R32 Skyline GTR.

For further info or an inspection PM me or contact me on 0422-646-624.

The car is located in Sydney and has 12 months rego if required.

NSW rego: DOO.00K

Yuri.

Edited by DOO00K

I know Yuri is new to the these forums but I am not.

Yuri's been a close mate of mine for over 15 years.

I was scared in this car when he first got it and took me for a spin.. I didn't have a license back then so that wasn't hard.

the week he bought this car back, he took me for another spin.

now I know alot of you might say yeh yeh, but I kid you not, I am yet to go in to another car that can be driven controllebly with this sort of handling and grip.

158 all wheel kw doesn't sound like much.

and I guess if you are a 1/4 mile bro kinda person, this car is not for you.

but if you are after a car that can idle along with traffic then be able to consistantly run 1:10's around wakefield on street tyres, then this is definitely for you.

subaru understeer is pretty much non existant with the suspension mods.

the gearbox and diff ratios, and ball bearig turbo (yes yuri vf23 is Ball bearing not roller bearing) makes this RS one that doesn't have the laggy feel below 3000rpm like other are.

anyway, for $12K, I doubt you'll find another car that can do the same thing.

actually, for $12K, you'll get an RS with exhaust and rims and king springs from the trading post.

I'll finish by saying that Yuri sucks for putting this up for sale a month after I bought something else, after I begged him to sell it to me earlier.