SAU Community

Shannons Insurance Just Keeps On Getting Better!

Merli

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have been offering this since 21/11/2005. Great that other companies are offering this also, even better if they will cover your "modified" vehicle too, as this may be an issue with some of your main stream insurers...

Yeah. NRMA covered all my mods (bolt on light tune stuff) and had the cheapest quote when I first got the car, but their bullshit online quotes system turned me off them.

Shannons won't cover me due to my mileage (FBT required) so I went elsewhere, but otherwise I would have gone with you guys in a second.

guys. shannons are a very discerning insurer. i don't know if it's a specific policy but they pretty much wont insure under 25s. espcially with high powered turbo cars. also cooks44, is your car a daily driver? as in my experience they are more interested in insuring weekend use cars. also if you are not a financial member of a car club, that will make you less attractive to them. I think all of these 'policies' are good.

Agreed with the Baron.

As I said, I had no philosophical problems getting knocked back by Shannons (or offered a highish quote). They're an insurer for niche cars, and so the fact that they can insure rare etc cars for a reasonable amount shouldn't be affected by high-mileage people like myself.

I know a rival insurer (of the same ilk) that was insuring various grey imports, but since a lot of them were being driven by young and....headstrong....drivers they got written off, and the insurance company suffered as a result.

Of course, I did have philosophical objections to smash repairers asking to quote for repairs based on photos on the Internet, which is why I told the NRMA that they lost my business....

Shannons insured me with my GTR for agreed value of $65,000 for several years before I turned 25.

They also offered to insure my R33 GTS-t with 280rwkw when I was even younger (but I found cheaper elsewhere).

I have definitely found that Shannons staff really do base their decisions on their conversations with you and whether they feel comfortable having you on their books. They seem to have published "rules and restrictions" but are willing to bend them for the right people, with the right attitudes.

Being a financial and active member of a car club like SAU and attending driver training days regularly and going to the track regularly proves that you're a true enthusiast who is honestly interested in increasing driving skill and not some hoon liable to write off his car and the Bentley in the next lane.

I called up cos I had my insurance for my XW with them, but again, on calling them with the cefiro some old guy said we don't want turbo's... I said that's not what I heard then he became rude.

shrug

my old man's insured with shannons for his cef. $600 per year or something stupidly low like that for full comprehensive.

• 3 weeks later...

"Shannon's" get's my vote for the best out there.

Okay so I have only gotten a quote so far for the GT-R but the '62' Morris has been with them for over a decade and we've never had any complaints.

Heck - they even offer a discount for multiple cars (knew the Morris was good for something) ;)

Oh and it does help if you are an enthusiast and member of a car club

After ringing around a few companies Shannons was the only one that would insure my GTR and my Bentley. I'm about to add the Peugeot to the policy once its cover finishes with its current policy provider. Their premiums seem reasonable for the agreed value on the cars.

i get a pretty good deal from suncorp insurance for my r33, believe it or not

premium of less than a grand (about 900 a year for comprehensive)

they had no issue with intercooler, exhaust, pod, wheels

(just added the pod to the contract this morning, the guy was saying when u hit 25, suncorp are a lot more relaxed)

Shame due to “Shannon’s policy” they refuse to insure my R32 for anything more then $16k when the phone operator agreed the value is $25k+, maybe I just got a jack ass on the phone, I duno. Either way I was happy with the insurance I had on my parents Porsche up until then.

_8OO5TED_, maybe you can clarify about this said policy? I would like to know how the value system works. For an operator to agree to a higher value then all he can give me, it doesn’t really look to good.

I am thru Shannons, and rate them very high, They know about everything on my car(FMIC, Power FC, Wheels, Exhaust, Bodykit etc) I was under 25 when i got the insurance. They even said they will insure it for next year when it will be a course car at Classic Adelaide. Giddyup

But u still dont insure anyone under 25s with GTRs? tried to get quote from u b4 but u said no.

I've got the same thing with a few 'preliminary' quotes I've got....pain in the ass as I'm currently looking for the perfect R32 GTR and have a completely unblemished (cept for 1 $50 6km over speeding fine) record for the last 5 years I've been driving. I'm no angel but I'm not a dumb f**k like some people who speed well over limits.

All the companies I've approached see Twin Turbo and 23yo and shit themselves....might have to try Shannons and see what they say.