SAU Community

More Power From My Lawn Mower

SECURITY

98 octane is actually worse for those mowers since they have such low compression. Just use standard 91 octane fuel.

Mix the minimum recommended amount of 2 stroke oil in the petrol. The more oil you add, the less power you get. Typically they ask 25:1 up to 50:1 for some models. Best bet is for every litre of fuel, add about 20-30ml of 2 stroke oil and shake it up well.

Old petrol will make a mower run like crap and stall and not start easily. If you only mow once every month or two, only buy a litre of petrol every time.

The carby might need a clean. If its the standard plastic carby I'm thinking of, they're a piss easy to pull apart and clean. The rear is clipped on, unclip it, unscrew everything and lay it down in order it was removed on a bench. There are only about 10 parts total including the housing, its a painfully simple design.

The floats commonly get heaps of muck and crap (often water) in there which stops the carby from supplying fuel reliably. Water is heavier than fuel and usually gets picked up from the bottom of the float chamber and therefore the mower runs like crap. Same with the petrol tank, if water is in there, it will be at the bottom, empty a bit of petrol out from the hose going to the carby and see if it is a different color. If so, drain the tank and refill with fresh fuel.

Dont worry about removing the exhaust on the 2 stroke mowers, you get SFA improvment and HEAPS of noise.

If you need more help and are willing to try taking it apart, let me know. I've fixed a dozen or so victa's in the past so I sort of know how they work.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just a very important warning if you're going to sharpen the blades, MAKE SURE you unplug the spark plug.

Just rotating the blades by hand a little bit is sometimes enough to make the mower start and chop your hands to bits. Unplugging the spark plug wire guarantees it cannot start.

i got one of the upright rotary lawnmowers, bout 5hp, was thinking about finding a tiny turbo or supercharger and messing around with it, would be great fun

I vote custom "supercharger". just a fan to force air into the carby.

Of course, if you wanted to do it properly, it would be better to use a draw-through rather than a push-through, but, hey, its a lawnmower.

It'll be pulling low 12's in no time