SAU Community

Engine Oil Flush

LBR33

Hi Guys

I want to flush my engine with 10lts of oil so that my engine will be very clean inside......want i want to know is what cheap oil can i use to flush it with as im not going to buy $150 worth of oil.

Lee,,,unless you have a re-built motor thats not something I would recommend. Flushing an older motor will only start shortening your motors life. The small crud build up in older motors helps stop lifter,ring land and other interior parts from losing there bedded in tolerences.

Neil.

Lee,

I'd go with what Neill Says.

Though,

You might consider doing a quick turnaround in oil AND Filter changes;

say @ only 1,000-2,000 Klm

I change my Filter EVERY time I change the oil.

5,000 klm...............cheap insurence.

To keep costs down, use a cheaper oil for the first change,

NOT Bottom of the shelf.

That oil would still be quite usable for other purposes.

Top-ups, or in my case,

use in the Donga, a Farmyard Hack-car.

Edited by Ivan in Oz

Using flush additives your likely to loosen crud and get it stuck in oil galleries etc.

Just use a good quality synthetic oil, change it at the recommended intervals and overtime it will become cleaner from the extra detergents in synthetic oils.

The thing that I never understand is peoeple say don't use flush coz it might dislodge and clog stuff.

But if you never flush it, then it'll just build up more and more and more and then eventuall clog somethign else won't it?

PErhaps someone knowledgeable with engine building experience can comment on this

Provided the oil is changed at the correct intervals there will never ever be buildup in the engine in the first place.

Some people are just paranoid about maintenance and cause problems trying to rectify faults that never existed in the first place.

Yeah, but i meant if its used in engines that are full of crud, for eg. engines that have done 100,000km without an oil change you run the risk of it dislodging stuff and blocking galleries.

If your engine is not in this condition, why would you even consider using a flush treatment?

It goes back to what Neil said earlier, if you run it in an engine that doesn't have excess buildup, it can still potentially clean the smaller carbon buildup on pistons walls etc, that help with combustion cylinder sealing.