SAU Community

Kerbed R32

My son kerbed his 32 in the rain tonight.

He says he swerved to miss a dog but I think maybe he was just trying to wag his tail.

Anyway I had to replace the broken strut bar and volk rim on the side of the road in the middle of a thunderstorm so he could drive it home.

I don't think the impact was extremely heavy and most of the damage seem to be due to the strutbar letting go.

I could see the lower control arm is badly bent and the swaybar link arm is now banana like.

The guard is all bent up and the plastic liner is ripped.

The front bar, fmic and piping don't appear damaged.

What other damage should I look for or expect to find?

Other damage? your sons pride....

(your sons hide? - I didn't say that)

Had a friend who duplicated what your son has done. Except that he took it to a mechanic to fix.

I would just fix what is visibly damged, and find out what else is bent when the bolts don't line up. But this does tend to have the car off the road for a little longer than is nessesary (oh - it doesn't fit. We'll have to get that part next time)

pretty dense, huh? oh well, good luck.

6" kerb 40-50kph almost straight-on with the brakes locked.

The steering now pulls hard to the right.

I had a bit of a look at the damage today.

It definitely looks wrong.

The camber is the wrong way and the wheel looks deep under the guard. Something is very bent.

I'll get it up on a hoist asap to see what bits I might need to fix it.

How can you tell if the knuckle and upright have been bent?

Is this likely?

What about the stub axle?

Do these bend easily?

Maybe I should replace the lot to be safe.

Not a mechanic, and I need to be able to see things to fix them (when I can), but I CAN tell you that if the stub axle is bent, throw it away.

I dn't konw if you can straighten them, but I would NOT trust your life to a poiece of steel that is that fatigued.

Sounds to me like you need to fix the lot - via a smash repairer. I hope for your sake that I'm wrong.

Good luck

I had it on a hoist yesterday and I can't see any damage to the chassis.

The crossmember is spread where the lower control arm was bent back but should push back easy enough.

The lower control arm is very bent and almost torn from the bush.

That is most of the obvious suspension damage but the upper arm has a scratch where it closed on the upright due to the impact and the paint on the upright has flaked at the corresponding point so I guess it's been bent slightly but it isn't obvious.

I've located a good second hand upright, knuckle and hub assembly for $50 so I'll replace it just on suspicion and that also replaces the stubaxle.

I've found a guard in same colour so that will save some $$$.

All up the bits will cost $385 plus a wheel alignment so it looks like the main cost will be replacing the volk racing two piece rims and some new tyres.

He'll be running on the old stockies until he pays me back and saves up again.

I did exactly the same thing about a month and a half ago so i know the feeling!!!! Gutter + locked brakes = nasty mess

The aftermath of mine was broken radius rod, bent control arm and damaged hub. Also had to replace the main strut and upper conrol arm also. Some of my rubbers where still ok but the one in the radius rod was egg shaped and had to be replaced also. Both my month old Volk F-Zero rims are now buckled beyond repair.

External panel damage included a busted front guard and side skirt, plus some minor damage to my front bar. Total cost to fix the car will eventually be a little over $1000. Car pulled severely to the left as that was the side i hit mostly with.

I suggest you get all the parts replaced as you can never really tell what is broken until you get the whole thing on a chassis alinger. It turns out one of my main rails is pushed back slightly too but nothing too serious and it drives fine now. Just did over a 1000km on the highway in it with no probs.

Dunno if this helps but i thought id let you know how came out of it.

I did exactly the same thing about a month and a half ago so i know the feeling!!!! Gutter + locked brakes = nasty mess

The aftermath of mine was broken radius rod, bent control arm and damaged hub.  Also had to replace the main strut and upper conrol arm also.  Some of my rubbers where still ok but the one in the radius rod was egg shaped and had to be replaced also.  Both my month old Volk F-Zero rims are now buckled beyond repair.

External panel damage included a busted front guard and side skirt, plus some minor damage to my front bar.  Total cost to fix the car will eventually be a little over $1000.  Car pulled severely to the left as that was the side i hit mostly with.

I suggest you get all the parts replaced as you can never really tell what is broken until you get the whole thing on a chassis alinger.  It turns out one of my main rails is pushed back slightly too but nothing too serious and it drives fine now.  Just did over a 1000km on the highway in it with no probs.

Dunno if this helps but i thought id let you know how came out of it.

Thanks for that.

I don't think the rails have been bent.

I'll only worry about putting it on a chassis aligner if the wheel alignment isn't in spec.

Shame about your rims.

It'll cost you a lot more than $1000 by the time you replace them.